Alaska Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Alaska is the largest United States state, and is located in the northwest the country’s West Coast. The state borders the Canadian province British Columbia to the east, and shares a maritime border with Russia to the west.
Alaska is such a large state that it has a total area bigger than Texas and California combined. However, Alaska is the third-least populous state and nearly half of its residents live in and around Anchorage. The state’s capital of Juneau is also the second-largest city in the United States by area.
Despite having a lot of land, Alaska’s residents has experienced a slower economy, and many are in need of financial assistance. Some may even find that they have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month.
There is help available; The Lifeline benefit program offers free government cell phone service to qualified Americans.
What is Lifeline, Alaska Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline free government cell phone service is a government benefit program that gives eligible participants free cell phone service. It is a free monthly service benefit available to Alaskans as well.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the government started Lifeline in the 1980s. The original intention was to help Americans in financial need to stay connected with discounted or free communications services. Later in the 2000s, Lifeline was updated to include wireless cell phone services as well.
Free government cell phone service for Alaskan residents is distributed by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free cell phone service, Alaskan residents must apply for the service by signing up with an approved Lifeline service provider. Once their application is approved, they will receive free cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why Alaskan Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a popular government program that is available for eligible Americans. Millions of Americans have free government cell phone service so they can stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
For example, having cell phone service will allow Alaskans the freedom to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to use in case of 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to Alaskans.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Alaska
If you live in Alaska and currently participate in a government assistance program, or have low income, then you most likely are eligible for free cell phone service.
You may qualify for free government cell phone service if you already participate in a government assistance program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (and other programs, see below). Specific government programs vary by state, but in Alaska, these are the most popular government assistance programs that will automatically qualify you for Lifeline free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You also qualify for free cell phone service in Alaska if you have low income. Generally, if your total household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Alaska’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Alaska
Before you apply for free cell phone service in Alaska, you must first choose a Lifeline service provider. You should first research and decide which Lifeline provider you want to use; this usually depends on you and your household lifestyle.
We advise you take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you. Lifeline providers may offer different cell phone service plans, so you should take the time to research available providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Alaska
Below are the most popular three Lifeline free cell phone service providers in Alaska. While each provider offers their own plans with minutes and data, in general, all three providers below are reliable.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have selected your Lifeline service provider, you can apply as soon as you want. The easiest and fastest way to apply is online through your chosen provider’s website. You can also apply by filling out a paper application.
Applying for Lifeline online is always the fastest and easiest way to get free government cell phone service. The online application is different for every Lifeline provider, but you can expect the process to look like this:
- Enter your personal information, including your name and address.
- Enter information to prove your identity (your SSN).
- Select the government program you currently participate in. If you do not already participate in a government assistance program, the online application will let you apply with low income instead.
- Select the Lifeline service you want. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline services for you to choose from.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline service provider will assist you with providing the right proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once you are approved, your Lifeline provider will assist with setting up your free cell phone service.