Delaware Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Delaware is a northeastern state that was one of the original 13 colonies. It is the first state to ratify the United States Constitution, and it has a rich history. Delaware has many historic landmarks.
Delaware has soil that is ideal for farming, so the state harvests a lot of crops including soybeans, potatoes, corn, and peas. Even though Delaware has a lot of crops and history, 11% of Delaware residents struggle financially and live below the state’s poverty line.
Many low income Americans may have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month. However, the Lifeline government benefit program can help Delaware residents with their cell phone bill.
The Lifeline program provides qualified Americans free government cell phone service. This program helps qualified Delaware residents stay connected to their world, regardless of income.
What is Lifeline Delaware Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides eligible people living in America with free government cell phone service. It is a monthly service benefit available to all eligible Delaware residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission and the government to help low income Americans stay connected. Lifeline originally only offered discounted or free landline communications services, but in n the 2000s, it was updated to include wireless cell phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Delaware residents is distributed by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free cell phone service, Delaware residents must sign up with an approved Lifeline service provider. If their application is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why Delaware Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a popular and successful government program that is available for all eligible Americans who apply. Millions of Americans currently have free government cell phone service. Lifeline lets low income people to stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services, regardless of income.
Having cell phone service allows Delaware residents the ability to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to use in case of 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Delaware residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Delaware
If you live in Delaware and currently participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income, then you should be eligible for free government cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free cell phone service if you already participate in a government program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for other programs). Specific government programs may vary by state, but these are the most popular government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free cell phone service in Delaware if you have low income. If your total yearly household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Delaware’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Delaware
The first thing you should do when signing up for free cell phone service in Delaware, is choose your Lifeline service provider. We highly recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to use.
Take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household. Lifeline providers typically offer several cell phone service plans, so take the time to research your providers before applying for service.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Delaware
Below are the three most popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in America. While each provider below has their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have decided your Lifeline provider, you can apply right away. The fastest and easiest way to apply for Lifeline is online through your provider’s website. You can also apply by filling out a paper application.
The online application process is different for every Lifeline service provider, but the process usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your Lifeline application is approved, your provider will help with setting up your free government cell phone service!