Florida Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Florida is the southernmost state in the continental United States, and is the third most populous state in the country. The state is known for its beaches, theme parks, multicultural communities, and sunshine. Florida is a hugely popular tourist destination and has a wide variety of animal and plant wildlife.
Even though Florida has a lot of recreational options for its residents, nearly 13% of Floridians struggle financially and live below the state’s poverty line.
Florida residents who have low income are forced to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month. However, the Lifeline government benefit program may help Florida residents with their cell phone bill.
The Lifeline benefit program provides qualified Americans living in Florida free government cell phone service. This program helps qualified Florida residents stay connected to their world.
What is Lifeline Florida Free Government Cell Phone Service?
The Lifeline program is a government benefit program that provides people in America with free government cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit available to all eligible Floridian residents.
Lifeline began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the federal government in order to help low income Americans stay connected. Lifeline service originally only offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the FCC and the federal government to include wireless cell phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Florida residents is distributed only by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free cell phone service, Floridians must apply with an approved Lifeline service provider. If their signup is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why Florida Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline service is a successful government program that is available for all eligible Americans who apply for service. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline allows everyone to stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services, regardless of income.
Having cell phone service allows Floridians the ability to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to use in case of 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Florida residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Florida
If you live in Florida and already participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free government cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free cell phone service if you currently participate in a government assistance program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for other programs). Specific government programs vary by state, but these are the most popular government assistance programs that will qualify you for Lifeline free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in Florida if you have low income. Typically, if your total household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Florida’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Florida
The first thing you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in Florida, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you do some research before deciding which Lifeline service provider you want to use.
Take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household. Lifeline providers typically offer different cell phone service plans, so take the time to research your available providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Florida
Below are the three most popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in country. While each provider below offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers are reliable and offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have decided your Lifeline service provider, you can apply right away. The fastest and easiest way to apply for Lifeline is online through your chosen provider’s website. You can also apply by filling out a paper application.
The online application is different for every Lifeline service provider, but the application usually involves the five steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will set up your free cell phone service!