Cellphones are not a luxury anymore, but a necessity. Gone are the days where cellphones were only meant for the elite and businessmen alike. Nowadays it has become a must-have gadget to any living individual with an active lifestyle or simply for stay-at-home mom, dad, grandma and grandpa who needs to be connected to the world (friends, family, and potential employers.) So how do you get hold of one? It is very simple and easy to get free government cellphones in Illinois. But before we go into details, let’s talk about the background of the program. Why it exists and who will benefit it?
Lifeline Programs, together with Link-up programs are set to be the ground works for all government assisted programs supported by the Universal Service Fund or USF.
To qualify for the program, Illinois residents must receive government assistance such as:
- Food Stamps
- SSI or Supplemental Security Income
- TANF or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- LIHEAP or Low Income Home Energy Assistance
- Section 8 Federal Public House Assistance
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program Only)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Total household income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
In other words, the program exists to help those low-income families who needs assistance from the government.