Georgia Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Georgia is located in the southeastern United States. The state is an interesting blend of historic and modern, and cities like Atlanta and Savannah have their own unique “personalities.”
Georgia is home to beaches, mountains, and farmland, and it’s the 8th most populous state in the United States. Even with these qualities, nearly 17% of Georgians live below the state’s poverty line. Georgia residents who have low income may have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month. However, the Lifeline government program can help Georgia residents with eliminating their cell phone bill.
The Lifeline program provides qualified people living in America with free government cell phone service. This program helps qualified Georgia residents stay wirelessly connected to their world.
What is Lifeline Georgia Free Government Cell Phone Service?
The Lifeline program is a government benefit program that provides eligible Americans free government cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit also available to all eligible Georgia residents.
Lifeline began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the federal government in order to help low income Americans to stay connected. The program originally only offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the FCC to include wireless cell phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Georgia residents is distributed only by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free cell phone service, Georgians must sign up with an approved Lifeline service provider. If their signup is successful, they will receive free government cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why Georgia Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government program that is available for all eligible people who apply. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline empowers low income people with staying connected to family, friends, work, doctors, and medical services.
Having cell phone service allows Georgia residents the ability to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to use in case of 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Georgia residents, regardless of their income.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Georgia
If you live in Georgia and currently participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free cell phone service.
You should be eligible for free government cell phone service if you currently participate in a government program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for other programs). Specific government programs may vary by state, but these are the most popular government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline free government cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
If you don’t already participate in a government benefit program, then you may qualify for free cell phone service in Georgia if you have low income. Typically, if your total household income is at or below your Georgia’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Georgia’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Georgia
Before applying for free government cell phone service in Georgia, you should choose your Lifeline service provider first. We recommend you do some research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to sign up with.
We highly recommend you take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household’s lifestyle. Lifeline providers typically offer different cell phone service plans, so take the time to research your providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Georgia
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in Georgia. While each provider offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of the below providers are reliable.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline service provider, you can sign up right away. The fastest and easiest way to apply for Lifeline is online through your provider’s website. You can also apply by filling out a paper application.
The online application is different for every Lifeline free government service provider, but the process usually involves the 5 steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline service provider will assist with setting up your free government cell phone service!
Sign Up for Free Cell Phone Service
Do you qualify for free cell phone service? You can claim your free government cell phone service in just minutes. Simply click below to apply online for Lifeline!