Hawaii Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Hawaii is the world’s largest island chain, and it’s the only American state entirely made up of islands. However, only 7 of its 132 islands are inhabited: Hawaii (or known as Big Island), Maui, Oahu, Molokai, Niihau, Lanai, and Kauai. Hawaiian Islands are also volcanic islands.
Hawaiian residents include Native Hawaiians and people who immigrated to the state. The culture of the Native Hawaiians is nearly 1,500 years old and has its origins in the Polynesians who voyaged and settled in Hawaii.
Despite having a lot of history, Hawaii’s residents has experienced a slower economy, and many are in need of financial assistance. Some may even have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month.
The Lifeline benefit program is a huge help to Hawaiian residents because it offers free government cell phone service.
What is Lifeline Hawaii Free Government Cell Phone Service?
The Lifeline government program is a government benefit program that provides qualified Americans free government cell phone service. It is a free monthly service benefit available to all eligible Hawaiian residents.
Lifeline began in the 1980s to help Americans in financial need to stay connected with discounted or free communications services. Lifeline was updated in the 2000s to include wireless cell phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Hawaiian residents is distributed by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free phone service, Hawaiian residents must apply by signing up with an approved Lifeline service provider. Once their application is approved, they will receive free cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why Hawaiian Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government program that is available for eligible Americans. Millions of Americans already have free government cell phone service. Cell phone service lets them stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service allows Hawaiians the freedom to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to use in case of 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to Hawaiians.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Hawaii
If you live in Hawaii and currently participate in a government assistance program, or have low income, then you most likely are eligible for free cell phone service.
You may qualify for free cell phone service if you already participate in a government assistance program including Medicaid and Food Stamps (and other programs, see below). Certain government programs vary by state, but in Hawaii, these are the most popular government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may qualify for free government cell phone service in Hawaii if you have low income. Usually, if your total household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Hawaii’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Hawaii
Before you apply for free government cell phone service in Hawaii, you should first choose your Lifeline service provider. We recommend you do some research and decide which Lifeline provider you want to use; this usually depends on your personal lifestyle.
You should take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for your household. Lifeline providers usually offer different cell phone service plans, so take the time to look up available providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Hawaii
Below are the most popular Lifeline free government cell phone service providers in Hawaii. While each provider offers their own plans with minutes and data, all providers below are reliable.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have selected your Lifeline service provider, you can apply right away. The fastest way to apply is online through your chosen provider’s website. You can also apply by filling out a paper application, but this isn’t usually the easiest.
The online application is different for every Lifeline service provider, but you can expect the process to look like this:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information to prove your identity (this is usually your SSN).
- Select the government program you currently participate in. If you do not already participate in a government assistance program, the online application will let you apply with low income instead.
- Select the Lifeline service you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline services for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online process.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline service provider will help with providing the correct proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once approved, your Lifeline provider will assist you with setting up your free government cell phone service.
Sign Up for Free Cell Phone Service!
Do you qualify for free cell phone service? You can claim your free government cell phone service in just minutes. Simply click below to apply online for Lifeline!