Idaho Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Idaho is in the northwestern United States. Although it’s the 14th largest of the U.S. states, it’s the 12th least populous. Home to the the Boise River, Idaho is a popular destination for fishing and rafting; Idaho also has thousands of trails for walking, hiking, and biking.
Idaho is known for potatoes, scenic mountain landscapes, miles of protected wilderness, and outdoor recreation areas. With all of these attributes, still 11% of Idahoans struggle financially and live below the state’s poverty line.
People living in Idaho who have low income may not be able to pay their bills every month. However, the Lifeline government benefit program can help Idaho residents with their cell phone bill.
The Lifeline benefit program provides qualified people living in America free government cell phone service. This program also assists qualified Idaho residents with staying connected to their world.
What is Lifeline Idaho Free Government Cell Phone Service?
The Lifeline program is a government benefit program that provides eligible Americans free government cell phone service. It is a monthly service benefit available to all eligible Idaho residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (and the federal government) as a way to help low income Americans stay connected. The Lifeline program originally only offered discounted or free landline communications services. However, in the 2000s, Lifeline was updated to include wireless cell phone services to qualified Americans.
Free government cell phone service for Idaho residents is only distributed by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free cell phone service, Idaho residents must sign up with an approved Lifeline service provider. If their signup is approved, Idahoans will receive free government cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why Idaho Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government program that is available for all eligible people living in the U.S. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. The Lifeline program empowers low income people with staying connected to family, friends, work, doctors, and medical services.
Having free government cell phone service allows Idahoans the ability to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to use in case of 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Idaho residents, regardless of yearly income.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Idaho
If you live in Idaho and already participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income, then you should also be eligible for free cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free cell phone service if you currently participate in a government program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for other programs). Specific government assistant programs may vary by state, but these are the most popular government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free cell phone service in Idaho if you have low income. Typically, if your total household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (which varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Idaho’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Idaho
The first thing you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in Idaho, is to choose your Lifeline service provider. We strongly believe that you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to sign up with.
Take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household’s lifestyle. Lifeline providers typically offer varying cell phone service plans, so take the time to research available providers before applying for free government cell phone service.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Idaho
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in Idaho. While all providers below offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline service provider, you can sign up as soon as possible. The fastest and easiest way to apply for Lifeline is online through your chosen provider’s website. You can also apply by filling out a paper application.
The online application is different for every Lifeline free cell phone service provider, but the process usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will help with setting up your free cell phone service!
Sign Up for Free Cell Phone Service
Do you qualify for free cell phone service? You can claim your free government cell phone service in just minutes. Simply click below to apply online for Lifeline!