Maryland Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Maryland is a northeastern state that is known for its beaches, hills, state parks, wildlife refuges, and mountains. The state is popular for those who want to explore nature or history.
Some of Maryland’s major industries include: aerospace, fishing, life sciences, and manufacturing. However, nearly 10% of Maryland’s residents struggle with low income.
Maryland residents who have low income may have trouble paying all of their bills. However, the Lifeline government benefit program can help Maryland residents with their cell phone bill by providing free government cell phone service.
What is Lifeline Maryland Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides eligible Americans free cell phone service. It is a monthly service benefit available to all eligible Maryland residents.
Lifeline began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission and the federal government in order to help low income people stay connected. Lifeline originally offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, the federal government updated Lifeline to also offer wireless phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Maryland residents is distributed by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free cell phone service, Maryland residents must sign up with an approved Lifeline provider.
Why Maryland Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government program that is available for all eligible Americans who apply. Millions of Americans currently have free cell phone service. Lifeline helps low income people with staying connected to family, friends, work, and medical services, regardless of their income.
Having cell phone service allows Maryland residents the ability to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to access 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Maryland residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Maryland
If you live in Maryland and currently participate in a government program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free government cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free cell phone service if you currently participate in a government program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for other programs). Specific government programs may vary by state, but below are the most popular government assistance programs that will qualify you for Lifeline free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in Maryland if you have low income. If your total household income is at or below your Maryland’s Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you may also qualify for Lifeline. See Maryland’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Maryland
The first thing you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in Maryland, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you sign up with.
Please select the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household’s lifestyle. Lifeline providers offer different cell phone plans, so take the time to research your available providers.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Maryland
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in Maryland. While all providers below provide their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up immediately. The fastest way to apply is online through your provider’s website.
The online application varies for every Lifeline service provider, but the process usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Sign Up for Free Cell Phone Service in Maryland
Do you qualify for free cell phone service? You can claim your free government cell phone service in just minutes. Simply click below to apply online for Lifeline!