Massachusetts Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Massachusetts is northeastern state that was one of the original 13 colonies of the United States. A lot of U.S. history has happened in Massachusetts, including the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere, the Mayflower, and more.
Some of Massachusetts’ major industries include: finance, information technology, manufacturing, and more. Unfortunately, nearly 10% of Massachusetts’ residents struggle with low income.
Massachusetts residents who live below the state’s poverty line may have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month. However, the Lifeline benefit program provides qualified Americans free government cell phone service. This program also helps qualified Massachusetts residents stay connected.
What is Lifeline Massachusetts Free Government Cell Phone Service?
The Lifeline program is a government assistance benefit program that gives eligible people in America free cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit that is available to all eligible Massachusetts residents.
Lifeline began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the government to assist low income Americans with accessing telecommunications services. Lifeline first only offered discounted or free landline services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the FCC to also include wireless phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Massachusetts residents is given out by Lifeline providers. In order to receive free cell phone service, Massachusetts residents must first apply with an approved Lifeline provider. They may also have to prove that they qualify for the program. If their application is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service with their chosen provider.
Why Massachusetts Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government program; millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline allows low income to people stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service also helps Massachusetts residents with looking for employment opportunities on their own cell phone. Staying connected is very important to all Massachusetts residents, regardless of their income.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Massachusetts
If you live in Massachusetts and currently participate in a government assistance program, or you currently have low income, then you may be eligible for free government cell phone service.
Basically, if you already participate in a government program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for other programs), then you may automatically qualify for Lifeline. Specific government assistant programs may vary by state, but below are the most popular government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline Massachusetts free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also be eligible for free cell phone service in Massachusetts if you have low income. If your total household income is at or below Massachusetts’ Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Massachusetts’ Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Massachusetts
The first step in applying for Lifeline is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to sign up with.
Take your time in selecting the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household. Lifeline providers typically offer different cell phone service plans, so research before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Massachusetts
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in the United States. While all providers below offer their own plans with minutes and data, all of the providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up right away. The easiest way to apply for Lifeline is online through your chosen provider’s website.
The application is different for every Lifeline service provider, but the process usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will set up your free government cell phone service!