Michigan Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Michigan is a midwestern state that borders four of the five Great Lakes. The state is split into two parts because the lakes run in the middle of the state. Michigan is known for its contributions to the automobile industry and agriculture.
Some of Michigan’s other major industries include: general manufacturing, alternative energy, education, and tourism. However, 13% of Michigan’s residents have low income.
Millions of Michigan residents who have low income may have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month. The Lifeline benefit program can help Michigan residents with their cell phone bill.
The Lifeline program provides qualified Americans with free government cell phone service. This program also helps qualified Michigan residents stay connected.
What is Lifeline Michigan Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides eligible people in America with free cell phone service. It is a monthly service benefit available to all eligible Michigan residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the federal government to help low income Americans stay connected. Lifeline first only offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the FCC and the federal government to include cell phone services.
Free cell phone service for Michigan residents is distributed by approved Lifeline providers. In order to receive free cell phone service, Michigan residents must sign up with an approved Lifeline provider. If their application is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service with their chosen provider.
Why Michigan Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a government program that is available for all eligible people who apply. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline helps low income people with staying connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service lets Michigan residents look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and easily access 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Michigan residents, regardless of their income.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Michigan
If you live in Michigan and currently participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free government cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free cell phone service if you already participate in a government assistance program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for most other programs). Specific government programs vary by state, but below are the most common government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in Michigan if you have low income. If your total yearly household income is at or below your Michigan’s Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Michigan’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Michigan
The first step you should do before applying for free government cell phone service in Michigan, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research providers who you want to sign up with.
Take the time to select the best Lifeline service provider for you. Lifeline providers typically offer various cell phone service plans, so take the time to research providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Michigan
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in Michigan. While all providers below offer their own plans with minutes and data, all of them are reliable and offer consistent service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up right away. The best way to apply is online through your provider’s website.
The online application is different for every Lifeline service provider, but the signup usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Sign Up for Free Cell Phone Service in Michigan!
Do you qualify for free cell phone service? You can claim your free government cell phone service in just minutes. Simply click below to apply online for Lifeline!