Mississippi Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Mississippi is a southern state that has wide variety of historical monuments and museums. The state is known for its bluegrass music, magnolias, and southern charm. Mississippi’s major industries include: agriculture, manufacturing, mining, and fishing.
Unfortunately, nearly 20% of Mississippi’s residents have low income and may struggle to pay their monthly bills. There is a program that can help. The Lifeline government benefit program can help Mississippi residents with their cell phone bill.
The Lifeline program provides eligible Americans free cell phone service. This program also helps qualified Mississippi residents stay connected, regardless of their income.
What is Lifeline Mississippi Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government program that provides qualified people living in America with free government cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit available to all eligible Mississippi residents.
Lifeline Assistance program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission and the federal government to help all Americans with staying connected. Lifeline first only offered discounted or free landline services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the Federal Communications Commission and the government to include wireless phone services.
Free cell phone service for Mississippi residents is distributed by approved Lifeline providers. To receive free government cell phone service, Mississippi residents must apply with an approved Lifeline provider. If their application is approved, Mississippi residents will receive free cell phone service with their provider.
Why Mississippi Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a popular and successful government program that is available for all qualified Americans who apply for service. Millions of Americans currently have free cell phone service. Lifeline lets low income stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service also allows Mississippi residents look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and access 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Mississippi residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Mississippi
If you’re a resident of Mississippi and currently participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free government cell phone service.
You may be qualified for free cell phone service if you already participate in a government assistance program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for most other programs). Specific government programs vary by state, however, these are the most popular government programs that will also qualify you for free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also be eligible for free government cell phone service in Mississippi if you have low income. If your total household income is at or below Mississippi’s Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Mississippi’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Mississippi
The first step you should do when signing up for free cell phone service in Mississippi, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to sign up with.
Remember to select the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household’s lifestyle. Lifeline service providers offer different cell phone plans, so take the time to look up your providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Mississippi
Below are the three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers. While all providers below offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up right away. The best way to apply is online through your provider’s website.
The online application is varies for every Lifeline service provider, but the signup usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will help with setting up your free cell phone service!