Missouri Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Missouri is a midwestern state covered with mountains, grassy plains, and forests. The state is home to jazz clubs, art museums, sports, history, and culture.
Some of Missouri’s major industries include: transportation, defense and aerospace, food processing, and mining. Despite having a diverse amount of industries, more than 13% of Missouri’s residents have low income and struggle to pay their bills.
The Lifeline government benefit program can help Missouri residents with their cell phone bill. Lifeline provides qualified Americans free cell phone service. This program also helps eligible Missouri residents stay connected.
What is Lifeline Missouri Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides qualified Americans free cell phone service. It is a monthly service benefit available to all eligible Missouri residents as well.
Lifeline program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission and the federal government as a way to help low income Americans stay connected. Lifeline originally offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the federal government to include wireless phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Missouri residents is distributed by approved Lifeline providers. In order to receive free cell phone service, Missouri residents must sign up with a Lifeline provider. If their application is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service with their chosen provider.
Why Missouri Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a popular and successful government program that is available for all qualified Americans who apply for service. Millions of Americans currently have free cell phone service. Lifeline helps low income people to stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service allows Missouri residents to for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to access 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Missouri residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Missouri
If you live in Missouri and already participate in a government assistance program, or you currently have low income, then you may be qualified for free cell phone service.
You may be qualified for free government cell phone service if you currently participate in a government assistance program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for other programs). Government assistant programs may vary by state, but these are the most popular government programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also be eligible for free government cell phone service in Missouri if you have low income. Usually, if your total household income is at or below your Missouri’s Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Missouri’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Missouri
The first step you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in Missouri, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research before deciding your Lifeline provider.
Take the time to choose the Lifeline service provider for you and your household. Lifeline providers offer different cell phone plans, so take the time to look up your provider before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Missouri
Below are three popular free government cell phone service providers in Missouri. While all providers below offer their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers are reliable.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have decided your Lifeline provider, you can sign up immediately. The fastest and easiest way to apply is online through your chosen provider’s website.
The online application is different for every Lifeline service provider, but the process usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will help set up your free cell phone service!
Sign Up for Free Cell Phone Service in Missouri!
Do you qualify for free cell phone service? You can claim your free government cell phone service in just minutes. Simply click below to apply online for Lifeline!