Montana Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Montana is the fourth largest state in the United States with the 44th largest population. It is a western state known for its grassy plains and huge mountains. Montana also is a great spot for people who love outdoor activities. The state offers water and winter sports, hiking, and biking.
Montana’s major industries include: agriculture, tourism, timber, and mining. The state also has thousands of struggling residents, with more than 12% of its residents having low income.
Montana residents who have low income may have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month. However, the Lifeline benefit program can help Montana residents with their cell phone bill.
Lifeline provides qualified people living in America with free government cell phone service. This program also helps qualified Montana residents stay connected to their world.
What is Lifeline Montana Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides eligible Americans free cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit available to all eligible Montana residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the government in order to help low income people living in America to stay connected. Lifeline first only offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the FCC and the government to include wireless phone services.
Free government cell phone service for Montana residents is distributed by approved Lifeline providers. In order to receive free government cell phone service, Montana residents must apply with an approved Lifeline service provider. If their signup is approved, they will receive free cell phone service with their chosen provider.
Why Montana Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government program that is available for all eligible people who apply for service. Millions of people currently have free government cell phone service. Lifeline allows everyone to stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services, regardless of their income.
Having cell phone service helps Montana residents to look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and to access 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Montana residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Montana
If you’re a Montana resident and already participate in a government program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free cell phone service if you currently participate in a government program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for most other programs). Specific government assistant programs may vary by state, but below are the most popular government programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline free government cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also be eligible for free cell phone service in Montana if you have low income. If your total household income is at or below Montana’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Montana’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Montana
The first thing you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in Montana, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We highly recommend you do some research before deciding your Lifeline provider.
Take the time to choose the right Lifeline service provider for you. Lifeline providers typically offer various cell phone service plans, so research your providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Montana
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in Montana. While every provider offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of the below providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up right away. The easiest and fastest way to apply is online through your Lifeline provider’s website. You can also fill out a paper application.
The online application varies for every Lifeline free government service provider, but the process usually involves the five steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will set up your free government cell phone service!