Nebraska Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Nebraska is a midwestern state that is known for its agricultural and farming production industries. Although the state is the 16th largest in America, it only has the 37th largest population.
Nebraska has many natural attractions, including plains, rock formations, sand dunes, and more. More than 12% of people living in Nebraska struggle with paying their monthly bills. However, the Lifeline government benefit program can help Nebraskans with their cell phone bill.
Lifeline provides qualified people in America with free government cell phone service. This program also helps qualified Nebraska residents to stay connected.
What is Lifeline Nebraska Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides eligible Americans free cell phone service. It is a monthly service benefit also available to all eligible Nebraska residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission and the federal government to help low income Americans stay connected, regardless of their income. Lifeline originally only provided discounted or free landline services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the government to include wireless phone services.
Free cell phone service for Nebraska residents is distributed only by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free government cell phone service, Nebraska residents must apply with an approved Lifeline provider. If their signup is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service from their provider.
Why Nebraska Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a popular and successful government benefit program that is available for all eligible Americans and Nebraska residents. Millions of Americans currently have free government cell phone service. Lifeline lets low income people stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service helps Nebraskans look for employment opportunities access 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Nebraska residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Nebraska
If you live in Nebraska and already participate in a government program, or you currently have low income, then you may qualify for free cell phone service.
Typically, if you currently participate in a government program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for other programs), then you may automatically qualify for Lifeline. Specific government programs may vary by state, but these are the most popular government assistance programs that will qualify you for Lifeline cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in Nebraska if you have low income. If your total yearly household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (this varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Nebraska’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Nebraska
The first thing you should do before applying for free cell phone service in Nebraska, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to sign up with.
You should take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for your lifestyle. Lifeline providers offer various cell phone plans, so take the time to research your providers before applying for service.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Nebraska
Below are three popular Lifeline free government cell phone service providers in America. While each provider offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of the below providers provide consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up right away. The fastest and easiest way to apply is online through your chosen provider’s website. You may also apply by filling out a paper application.
The online application varies for every Lifeline free service provider, but the process usually involves the steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline service provider will set up your free cell phone service!