New Hampshire Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
New Hampshire is a northeastern state and one of the original 13 colonies. The state is bordered by Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, and the Canadian province of Quebec.
New Hampshire is best known for its small, picturesque towns and large wilderness. Its major industries include: tourism, manufacturing, technology, and health care. New Hampshire also has a 7% poverty rate, and has many residents who are struggling to pay their monthly bills.
The Lifeline government benefit program can help New Hampshire residents with their cell phone bill. Lifeline provides qualified people living in America with free government cell phone service. This program also helps qualified New Hampshire residents stay connected.
What is Lifeline New Hampshire Free Government Cell Phone Service?
The Lifeline program is a government benefit program that provides eligible people living in America with free cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit available to all eligible New Hampshire residents.
Lifeline began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the government to help low income Americans stay connected, regardless of their income. Lifeline originally only provided discounted or free landline services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the FCC to include wireless phone services.
Free cell phone service for New Hampshire residents is distributed only by approved Lifeline providers. In order to receive free government cell phone service, New Hampshire residents must sign up with an approved Lifeline provider. If their signup is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why New Hampshire Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government benefit program that is available for all eligible Americans. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline helps low income people to stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service lets New Hampshire residents look for employment opportunities and access 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to all New Hampshire residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in New Hampshire
If you’re a New Hampshire resident and already participate in a government program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free cell phone service.
If you already participate in a government program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for other programs), then you automatically qualify for Lifeline. Specific government assistant programs may vary by state, but here are the most popular government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline free phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free cell phone service in New Hampshire if you have low income. Usually, if your total household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (this varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See New Hampshire’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in New Hampshire
The first step you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in New Hampshire, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We highly recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to use.
Take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you. Lifeline providers typically offer various cell phone plans, so take the time to research providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in New Hampshire
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in America. While all providers below offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers are reliable.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up immediately. The fastest and easiest way to apply is online through your provider’s website. You may also apply by filling out a paper application.
The online application varies for every Lifeline service provider, but the process typically involves the 5 steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
If your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will set up your free government cell phone service!