New Jersey Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
New Jersey is a northeastern state that is the 47th smallest in the country. Despite its size, New Jersey has the 11th largest population in America. The state is home to national parks, museums, historical sites, harbors, resorts, and popular tourist spots including Atlantic City and the Jersey Shore.
Even though New Jersey has a robust tourism industry, nearly 10% of its residents have low income and struggle to pay their bills. However, the Lifeline benefit program can help New Jersey residents with their cell phone bill.
What is Lifeline and what does it provide? Lifeline provides qualified Americans free government cell phone service. This program helps qualified New Jersey residents stay connected to their world.
What is Lifeline New Jersey Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides eligible Americans free cell phone service. It is a monthly service benefit available to all eligible people living in New Jersey.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the federal government to help low income Americans stay connected with telecommunications services. Lifeline originally only offered discounted or free landline services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the FCC to include wireless phone services.
Free government cell phone service for New Jersey residents is distributed by approved Lifeline providers. In order to receive free cell phone service, New Jersey residents must sign up with a Lifeline service provider. If their signup is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service via their chosen provider.
Why New Jersey Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government benefit program that is available for all eligible Americans. Millions of people currently have free government cell phone service. Lifeline lets low income people stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services, regardless of income.
Having cell phone service allows New Jersey residents to look for employment opportunities and access 911 emergencies. Being able to stay connected is very important to all New Jersey residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in New Jersey
If you live in New Jersey and already participate in a government program, or you have low yearly income, then you may be eligible for free government cell phone service.
How do you qualify for Lifeline by participating in a government program? If you currently participate in a government program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for other programs), then you easily qualify for Lifeline as well. Specific government programs may vary by state, but these are the most popular government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in New Jersey if you have low income. Typically, if your total yearly household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (varies by state), then you may qualify for Lifeline. See New Jersey’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in New Jersey
The first thing you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in New Jersey, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you do research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to sign up with.
Again, take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you and your household. Lifeline providers typically offer various cell phone plans, so take the time to research providers before applying for service.
Free Cell Phone Providers in New Jersey
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in America. While each provider below offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers are reliable.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up for service right away. The fastest and easiest way to apply is online through your provider’s website. You may also apply by filling out a paper application.
The online application is different for every Lifeline service provider, but the process typically involves the 5 steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
If your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will help with setting up your free government cell phone service!