New Mexico Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
New Mexico is a southwestern state with one of the most scenic landscapes in the country, including deserts and mountains. The state is influenced by both Hispanic and Native American culture with unique cuisines and a popular art scene.
Major industries in New Mexico include: healthcare, public administration, retail, and food services. Despite its beautiful landscapes and diverse industries, New Mexico has an 18% poverty rate.
New Mexico residents who have low income may have be forced to choose which bills they can pay every month. However, the Lifeline government benefit program can help New Mexico residents with their cell phone bill. This program allows qualified Americans, including New Mexico residents, to stay connected to their world.
What is Lifeline New Mexico Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides eligible Americans free cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit available to all eligible New Mexico residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission and the federal government to help low income Americans stay connected. Lifeline originally offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the government to include wireless telecommunication services.
Free government cell phone service for New Mexico residents is distributed by approved providers of Lifeline. In order to receive free cell phone service, New Mexico residents must sign up with an approved Lifeline provider. If their application is approved, they will receive free government cell phone service via their provider.
Why New Mexico Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful government program that is available for all eligible Americans who apply for service. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline allows low income people to stay connected to their family, friends, work, and medical services, regardless of income.
Having cell phone service allows New Mexico residents the ability to look for employment opportunities, and to access 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all New Mexico residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in New Mexico
If you live in New Mexico and already participate in a government program, or you currently have low income, then you may be eligible for free cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free government cell phone service if you participate in a government program such as Medicaid and Food Stamps (see below for most other programs). Government assistant programs vary by state, but these are the most popular government assistance programs that may also qualify you for Lifeline service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in New Mexico if you have low income. Typically, if your total household income is at or below your state’s Federal Poverty Guidelines (this varies by state), then you may also qualify for Lifeline. See New Mexico’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in new Mexico
The first thing you should do when applying for free cell phone service in New Mexico, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to use.
Take the time to select the right Lifeline service provider for you. Lifeline service providers usually offer different cell phone service plans, so take the time to research providers before applying for service.
Free Cell Phone Providers in New Mexico
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers. While each provider below offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline provider, you can sign up right away. The fastest and easiest way to sign up is online through your provider’s website. You can also apply for Lifeline by filling out a paper application.
The online application varies for every Lifeline service provider, but the process usually involves the five steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your application is approved, your Lifeline provider will set up your free government cell phone service!