North Carolina Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
North Carolina is a southeastern state with a rich diverse landscape ranging from mountains to beaches. The state is bordered by Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.
Some of the major industries in North Carolina include: aerospace, defense, automotive equipment manufacturing, life sciences, energy, and communications technology. However, nearly 14% of North Carolina residents struggle with low income.
North Carolina residents who have low income may have to pick and choose which bills they can pay every month. However, the Lifeline benefit program helps qualified North Carolina residents with their cell phone bills by providing free cell phone service.
What is Lifeline North Carolina Free Government Cell Phone Service?
Lifeline is a government benefit assistance program that gives eligible Americans free cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit available to all eligible North Carolina residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the federal government and the Federal Communications Commission to help low income Americans stay connected. The program originally offered discounted or free landline services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the government to include wireless cell phone services.
Free cell phone service for North Carolina residents is distributed by Lifeline providers. In order to receive free government cell phone service, North Carolina residents must first sign up with an approved Lifeline provider.
Why North Carolina Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a successful and useful government program that is available for all qualified Americans who apply. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline lets low income people stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services.
Having cell phone service helps North Carolinians with looking for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and accessing 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all North Carolina residents, regardless of their income.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in North Carolina
If you’re a North Carolina resident and participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income, then you may be eligible for free government cell phone service.
What are the requirements for Lifeline in North Carolina? You may be eligible for free cell phone service if you already participate in a government assistance program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for other programs). These are the most common government assistance programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline free cell phone service:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in North Carolina if you have low yearly income. Typically, if your total yearly household income is at or below North Carolina’s Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you may also qualify for Lifeline. See North Carolina’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in North Carolina
The first thing you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in North Carolina, is to choose your Lifeline provider. You should do some research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to use.
Make sure you take the time to select the right Lifeline provider for you and your household. Lifeline providers typically offer different cell phone plans, so take the time to look up your providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in North Carolina
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers. While all providers below offers their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers offer reliable cell phone service:
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have chosen your Lifeline service provider, you can sign up immediately. The easiest way to apply is online via your provider’s website.
The application is different for all Lifeline service providers, but the process usually involves the five steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Once your signup is approved, your Lifeline provider will help with setting up your free cell phone service!