Pennsylvania Free Government Cell Phone Service Guide
Pennsylvania, is a northeastern state with many historical monuments. This is the state where the Declaration of Independence was signed and the U.S. Constitution was written.
Pennsylvania is also home to many parks, museums, and the Hershey headquarters. Major industries in Pennsylvania include: industrial machinery, food products, fabricated metal products, and printing and publishing. However, more than 12% of people in Pennsylvania struggle with low income.
There is help for Pennsylvanians. The Lifeline benefit program provides qualified people in America with free government cell phone service. This program also helps qualified Pennsylvania residents stay connected to their world.
What is Lifeline Pennsylvania Free Government Cell Phone Service?
The Lifeline program is a government assistance benefit program that provides eligible people in America with free cell phone service. It is a monthly benefit available to all eligible Pennsylvania residents.
The program began in the 1980s by the Federal Communications Commission and the federal government in order to help low income people living in America stay connected. Lifeline first only offered discounted or free landline communications services. In the 2000s, Lifeline was updated by the federal government to include wireless phone services.
Free cell phone service for Pennsylvanians is distributed by approved Lifeline providers. To receive free government cell phone service, Pennsylvania residents must first sign up with an approved Lifeline provider. If any Pennsylvanian’s application is approved, they will receive free cell phone service with their chosen provider.
Why Pennsylvania Residents Should Get Free Cell Phone Service
Lifeline is a government assistance program that is available for all eligible people who apply for service. Millions of Americans already have free cell phone service. Lifeline helps people with low income to stay connected to family, friends, work, and medical services, regardless of their income.
Having cell phone service lets Pennsylvanians look for employment opportunities on their own cell phone, and access 911 emergency services. Being able to stay connected is very important to all Pennsylvania residents.
Lifeline Cell Phone Service Eligibility Requirements in Pennsylvania
If you live in Pennsylvania and currently participate in a government program, or you currently have low income, then you may qualify for free cell phone service.
You may be eligible for free government cell phone service if you currently participate in a government program such as Medicaid or Food Stamps (see below for most other programs in Pennsylvania). Actual qualifying government assistant programs vary by state, but below are the most common government programs that will also qualify you for Lifeline:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps)
- Supplemental Security income (SSI)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8 voucher)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Most other government assistance programs (varies by state)
You may also qualify for free government cell phone service in Pennsylvania if you have low yearly household income. Usually, if your household income is at or below your Pennsylvania’s Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you may qualify for Lifeline. See Pennsylvania’s Federal Poverty Guidelines here.
How to Apply for Free Government Cell Phone Service in Pennsylvania
The first thing you should do when applying for free government cell phone service in Pennsylvania, is to choose your Lifeline provider. We recommend you research before deciding which Lifeline provider you want to use.
Take some time to select the right Lifeline provider for you and your household. Lifeline providers typically offer various cell phone service plans, so take the time to look up your available providers before applying.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Pennsylvania
Below are three popular Lifeline free cell phone service providers in Pennsylvania. While all providers below have their own plans with minutes and data, all of these providers offer consistent cell phone service.
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
Once you have decided your Lifeline provider, you can sign up as soon as possible. The fastest way to apply is online through your chosen provider’s website.
The online application varies for every Lifeline free service provider, but the process usually involves the five steps below:
- Enter personal information, such as your name and address.
- Enter information that proves your identity (usually your SSN).
- Select the government assistant program you currently participate in. If you do not currently participate in a government program, the application will then let you apply with low income.
- Select the Lifeline service plan you want from the provider. Most providers offer more than one type of Lifeline service plan for you to choose from. If there is only one option, this step may not show up in the online application.
- Submit proof document(s) that show you either participate in a government assistance program, or you have low income. Your Lifeline provider will help with providing the proof documentation. If you need help submitting documents, you should contact your Lifeline provider.
Sign Up for Free Cell Phone Service
Do you qualify for free cell phone service? You can claim your free cell phone service in just minutes. Click below to apply online for Lifeline!