Free Government cell phones are available in Minnesota. The Lifeline program provides a free cell phone and up to 250 free minutes each month to qualified US citizens.
There are many ways to qualify for this program. Currently, if you are receiving or qualify to receive any or all of the following, you qualify to receive a free cell phone which can be used for keeping in touch with friends, family, and potential employers.
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Public Housing Assistance
- Section 8 Housing
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Home Energy Assistance Programs
- National Free School Lunch
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program Only)
- Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
- Total household income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
Additionally, if you are currently at or below 135% of the national poverty guidelines, you qualify for a free government cell phone.