This program is meant to provide free phones with several free service plans to the low-income families in North Carolina.
Q Link Wireless has been a major provider of the free cell phone service that offers around 250 free minutes every month along with a free phone.
The minutes vary depending on which plan you choose; some plans have less minutes but more text messages and vice versa.
There are two ways to qualify for these phones and service:
1) Customers must be a part of at least one of the following government-funded assistance programs:
- Federal Public Housing (Section 8)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Food Stamps
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program Only)
- Total household income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
2) Customers may qualify based on their income if it is lower than 135% of the federal poverty guidelines. To simplify it, we have provided the following chart to check if your income qualifies you.
Free government cell phones in North Carolina are funded by the Universal Service Fund.
The Universal Service Fund had been used previously to subsidize landline service for the less income earners. Currently it has been allowed to subsidize wireless service as well to take good care of low income citizens.
To signup for your free cell phone and minutes just put in your information below and we’ll redirect you to an approved Lifeline provider in North Carolina.